One of the tastiest superfoods – is a fruit you’ve probably already come across on Instagram. Acai berries (pronounced ah-sigh-EE) are best known as the ingredient in picture-perfect smoothie bowls. But, these berries are more than just pretty to look at.
You find the berries on açaí palms in South American rainforests. They look exactly like smaller grapes. The seed takes up about 80% of the berry. But the flesh and skin contain enormous amounts of vitamins. Moreover, they are scrumptious.
Is Açai healthy?
The berries are healthy and delicious. Many claim they are a panacea. Unfortunately, this has not been scientifically proven (yet). They are a good addition to your healthy diet, but there is no such thing as a miracle food that will make you live to be 100.
Everything depends on your lifestyle.
Some claims about Açai:
- Heart disease: a diet rich in fruits and vegetables can prevent heart disease.
- Weight Loss: Eating lots of fruits and vegetables, including açai berries, and exercising regularly can help you lose weight or maintain a healthy weight.
- Arthritis: All berries contain anthocyanins which have been found to have anti-inflammatory effects . These can relieve the symptoms of arthritis.
- High cholesterol: Eating more fiber from fruits (e.g., açai), vegetables, beans and other sources can help lower cholesterol.
- Anti-aging: a healthy diet full of fruits, vegetables, proteins and healthy fats helps with everything from acne to aging.
Where to buy Açai?
You have several specialty stores where you can buy Açai. You can buy these in powdered or frozen form. The easiest way is to buy the powdered form and mix it with your yogurt or in smoothies. But, personally I like the frozen form better and the nutritional values are better preserved. You mix the frozen packs into a delicious smoothie bowl and can then finish it off with different toppings.
Our favorite way to purchase Acai is through: The Holy Berry
How do you store Açai?
Unfortunately, Açai berries spoil within a day and come from tropical areas that are not next door.
Hence, it is best to store them in the freezer. Açai is therefore usually sold as a frozen product, just because they spoil so quickly and since they then retain the best nutritional values.
Acai berries are healthy, nutritious and most importantly delicious. It is definitely one of our favorite breakfasts at higher temperatures. Here you will find 8 more healthy breakfast bowls that I make often. Most are a little quicker to make.
Have you ever eaten acai berries?
What do you think of it?