One of the tastiest superfoods – a fruit you’ve probably already come across on Instagram. Acai berries (pronounced ah-sigh-EE) are best known as the main ingredient of picture-perfect smoothie bowls. But, these berries are more than just beautiful, find out more about this super berry here.
What is açai anyway?
You find the berries on açaí palms in South American rainforests. They look exactly like smaller grapes. The seed takes up about 80% of the berry. But the flesh and skin contain enormous amounts of vitamins. They are low in calories and most importantly delicious.
Benefits of açai berries
- Antioxidants: Like other berries, açai berries are packed with antioxidants. These help you build your immune system.
- Fiber: The berries provide a good bowel movement. In addition, they also make you feel satiated and keep your blood sugar stable.
- Calcium: Berries are high in calcium and help keep your bones, heart, muscles and nerves strong and healthy.
Health Claims of Açai
The berries are healthy and delicious. Many claim they are a panacea. Unfortunately, this has not been scientifically proven (yet). They are a good addition to your healthy diet, but there is no such thing as a “miracle food” that will make you live to be 100.
It all depends on your lifestyle: a healthy and balanced diet filled with fruits, vegetables, proteins and healthy fats will ensure a longer, healthier and more vital life.
How do you store Açai?
Unfortunately, picked Açai berries spoil within a day and come from tropical areas that are not next door.
Açai is therefore usually sold as a frozen product, just because they spoil so quickly and since they then retain the best nutritional values. In addition, you can also buy Açai in powder form.
Our favorite way to buy Açai? Via The Holy Berry. They have great products. We have been fans for years!
Açai Bowl Recipe
- frozen açai:You can find frozen açai in the supermarket in the freezer section(The Holy Berry). Also delicious with Pink Pitaya.
- Frozen banana – be sure to freeze your bananas after they are peeled. Frozen banana adds natural sweetness to the smoothie bowl and makes it thick and creamy. If you don’t like bananas, you can use 1 cup frozen mango instead!
- Vegetable milk – I like to use unsweetened almond or oat milk, but you can use any type of milk. For this smoothie, you only need a small amount of milk.
- Frozen berries – You can use any type of frozen berries. I usually use blueberries, but using strawberries or raspberries works fine. You can also use fresh fruit, but frozen fruit makes a ‘nice cream’.
Throw this all together in the blender. And mix until you have a creamy, creamy consistency.
Feel free to get creative with your toppings! Here are some ideas.
- Use granola, granopops or unsweetened coconut flakes for some crunch.
- add extra fresh berries – a sliced strawberry or fresh blueberries work great!
- Add a tablespoon of chia seed or flaxseed for added protein and fiber.
- Peanut butter -As you will know by now, I drizzle nutbutter over everything
Acai berries are healthy, nutritious and most importantly delicious. It is definitely one of our favorite breakfasts at higher temperatures. Here you will find 8 more delicious breakfasts that I make often.
Have you ever eaten acai berries?
What do you think of it?